Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Whoa! whoa! Whoa!!

Guys,

Seriously, thanks for your comments and well words, but just to be absolutely clear.

IT AIN'T OVER JUST YET.


Over the years I've made about 3000 of these motivators. Maybe there's someone out there who's done more, I couldn't say. So I'm going to try and share all of them with you as best I can before I shutter things up. That means you'll have quite a few posts to trickle out before that happens. That's the whole point of my message to "stay tuned".

And I don't see it as quitting? leaving blogging? Yes, but I'm not sure I see that as quitting. To me, quitting implies that I'm beaten, that I'm too down and out to go. Quite the opposite; I'm more optimistic than I've been in years. The fact that that optimism isn't reflected in corporate supercomics? Totally not my problem. I'm not angry with them, I don't wish them anything good or ill, I'm just moving on.

After three thousand posters, I've gone through just about every permutation of a poster I can think of. You really can only use so many images of Iron Man in his armor standing about looking all tech and cool and then add some kind of caption to it. Granted, one wishes the cover artists could show a bit more variety, but that's a subject for another day.

I've said what I wanted to say, and will continue to do so until the end. Because as I've stated in the past, I don't have a deep personal connection to the larger concept of "fandom" because I disagree with a lot of common fan notions (i.e. those people who think Batman is cooler than Superman - AS IF!). The one time I really got mixed up in Fandom? A couple years back, and it just convinced me to do what I do, and hope the right audience would find it. Well, I look at the commenters and followers and I know that to be true. So thank you, and please, keep reading.

And Tom, thank you for the comparison to Chris Sims (but spell it right, he's quite touchy about that - ask the guys at the Daily Show). That said, as the years have worn on, I've become a bit disillusioned with Sims: yes yes yes, Smallville sucks and the jacket sucks - but I'll put down money that Sims will gush all over Grant Morrison giving Superman a baby t-shirt and towel cape in 'Action Comics' despite that being EQUALLY RIDICULOUS. Overall, I'd rather be Chris Bird or Tim O'neil instead - on target, insightful, and genuinely intelligent and persuasive.

Thanks again for your comments. Because of this, I've decided to move up my "secret origin" post to sometime this month instead of the late fall as I'd originally planned - you've all convinced me you need to hear the story of how this all got started....












No comments: