Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Paths I have Chosen


OK, here's my biggest problem with "Superman: Earth One". Straczynski screws up, not because the origin isn't important, but because the concept is sort of backwards, at least to me. And it's kind of personal.

When I was a kid, and well into my teens, I gave serious consideration towards becoming a writer. Common enough, but I was fairly good at it, and had an idea of how to go about it. I'm not saying I would have made it or anything (in fact, I'm fairly certain I would not have) but the idea was certainly there.

But I chose engineering instead. Why might you ask?

I took a look around, and made a hard and sober assessment of myself. Yeah, I could write, and that's a great thing - a good talent that could be honed into something that hey, who knows? Might have been professional quality.

But I also knew I had a real talent for science and math, and that's something a fair bit rarer, in my experience.

Alright, so we're on the right track, but not quite to "Engineer" yet. After all, I could have gone into a theoretical or academic branch of science or math or computer programming. All great career choices I do not disparage in any way, shape or form, except that they weren't MY choice.

Again, it comes down to my experiences and beliefs. I looked at the world, and I felt then, as I feel now, that I want to make a difference - to make a direct and immediate impact on people using the gifts I was given, and that I was fortunate enough, by birth and fate, to have the opportunity to develop.

Now, where do you suppose I got that idea from?

Oh, right.

And that's the problem with Superman: Earth One. Sure, Clark could, COULD become an exceptional, even legendary scientist or athlete or businessman. He could do anything.

But only Clark Kent can be Superman. Anything else is hiding and denying his talents and where they are most needed. And that's something that really didn't require much exploration.






No comments: